DELTA-TOCOTRIENOLS CAN SUPPORT
INHIBITION OF CELL PROLIFERATION
ATTENUATION OF TUMOR INVASION AND METASTASIS
INCREASE OF miR-451 EXPRESSIONS
REPRESSED EXPRESSION OF MMP-9 & Upa PROTEINS
Introduction to Lung Cancer and Delta-TocotrienolsLung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths among both women and men. Lung cancer constitutes 25% of all cancer-related deaths. Every year, more people die of lung cancer than that of breast, prostate, and colon cancers combined! The anti-invasive effects of Delta-Tocotrienol and its underlying cellular mechanism in NSCLC had not been fully explored. In this study, the effects of Delta-Tocotrienol on cell invasion, migration, adhesion, aggregation, and proliferation capabilities were investigated using different cell-based assays.
How does Delta-Tocotrienol fight Lung Cancer?In the study, it was observed that Delta-Tocotrienols inhibited cell invasion, migration, adhesion, aggregation, and proliferation in a concentration-dependent manner. Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-9) based cell migration and invasion are critical mechanisms in cancer growth and development. Hence, it was also observed that Delta-Tocotrienols reduced MMP-9 activities. The Western blot and real-time PCR analysis data also demonstrated that Delta-Tocotrienol was able to increase miR-451 expressions and was able to downregulate Notch-1 mediated NF-kB, which resulted in the repression of the expression of MMP-9 and uPA proteins. Hence, it was shown that Delta-Tocotrienols attenuated tumor invasion and metastasis. All the data generated in the study suggested that Delta-Tocotrienols may have a very potent therapeutic benefit against non-small-cells lung cancer (NSCLC) metastasis.
References for the study in detail:1. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30100736/
2. Polyphyllin VII induces apoptotic cell death via inhibition of the PI3K/Akt and NF-κB pathways in A549 human lung cancer cells.
3.Delta-Tocotrienol Modulates Glutamine Dependence by Inhibiting ASCT2 and LAT1 Transporters in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) Cells: A Metabolomic Approach.
4. Molecular Mechanisms of Action of Tocotrienols in Cancer: Recent Trends and Advancements. Aggarwal V, Kashyap D, Sak K, Tuli HS, Jain A, Chaudhary A, Garg VK, Sethi G, Yerer MB.Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Feb 2;20(3):656. doi: 10.3390/ijms20030656.PMID: 30717416 Free PMC article. Review. 5. S-Adenosylmethionine synergistically enhances the antitumor effect of gemcitabine against pancreatic cancer through JAK2/STAT3 pathway.
6. Antimetastatic activity of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 in lung cancer is mediated by insulin-like growth factor-independent urokinase-type plasminogen activator inhibition. Oh SH, Lee OH, Schroeder CP, Oh YW, Ke S, Cha HJ, Park RW, Onn A, Herbst RS, Li C, Lee HY.Mol Cancer Ther. 2006 Nov;5(11):2685-95. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-06-0142.PMID: 17121915
7. Curcumin suppresses colon cancer cell invasion via AMPK-induced inhibition of NF-κB, uPA activator and MMP9.
8. Inhibition of invasion, angiogenesis, tumor growth, and metastasis by adenovirus-mediated transfer of antisense uPAR and MMP-9 in non-small cell lung cancer cells.
9.[Mechanism of tumor cell-induced extracellular matrix degradation–inhibition of cell-surface proteolytic activity might have a therapeutic effect on tumor cell invasion and metastasis].
10. Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase expression and cellular invasion by NF-κB inhibitors of microbial origin.