First Ever Evidence that Eannatto γ-Tocotrienol Inhibits the Growth of Human Gastric Cancer and Chemosensitizes it to Capecitabine
Investigation of Gamma-tocotrienol to be able to sensitize gastric cancer to capecitabine in vitro and a xenograft mouse model.
TOCOTRIENOLS CAN SUPPORT
INHIBITION OF PROLIFERATION OF GASTRIC CANCER CELLS
APOPTOTIC EFFECTS OF CAPECITABINE
SUPPRESSION OF TUMOR GROWTH
Introduction to Gastric Cancer and Delta-TocotrienolsGastric cancer or the cancer of the stomach is the 7th most commonly occurring cancer in women and 4th most commonly occurring cancer in men.
Like colorectal cancer, gastric cancer also can develop resistance against chemotherapeutic drugs over time. Also, the poor prognosis of this cancer makes the existing treatment modalities render ineffective. So in this study, a novel agent that is safe and effective, like Gamma-Tocotrienol was investigated, to see if it could sensitize gastric cancer to capecitabine in vitro and a xenograft mouse model.
How does Gamma-Tocotrienol fight Gastric Cancer?Gamma-Tocotrienol was observed to inhibit the proliferation of gastric cancer cells and promoted the apoptotic effects of capecitabine. The study demonstrated that Gamma-Tocotrienol inhibited the constitutive activation of NF-kB, and suppressed its regulated expression of COX-2, Bcl-2, CXCR4. Cyclin D1, matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-9), and VEGF.
The study also showed, that in the xenograft model of human gastric cancer in nude mice, Gamma-Tocotrienol alone was able to significantly suppress tumor growth. Although, with capecitabine, the effect of Gamma-Tocotrienol on the suppression of tumor growth was even more effective! Gamma-Tocotrienol along with capecitabine downregulated both the proliferation markers, K—67, and CD31.
References for the study in detail:1. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22351692/
4. Identification of a novel 1,2 oxazine that can induce apoptosis by targeting NF-κB in hepatocellular carcinoma cells.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32140443/
5. Anticancer Potential of Raddeanin A, a Natural Triterpenoid Isolated from Anemone radiant Regel.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32106609/Naz I, et al. Molecules. 2020. PMID: 32106609
6.Sphingosine 1-Phosphate Receptor 2 Induces Otoprotective Responses to Cisplatin Treatment.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31952197/
7. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31858156/ Khwairakpam AD, et al. J Mol Med (Berl). 2020. PMID: 31858156 Review.
8. S. Bi, J.R. Liu, Y. Li, Q. Wang, H.K. Liu, Y.G. Yan, B.Q. Chen, W.G. Sun, gammaTocotrienol modulates the paracrine secretion of VEGF induced by cobalt(II) chloride via ERK signaling pathway in gastric adenocarcinoma SGC-7901 cell line, Toxicology. 274 (2010) 27-33.
9. H.K. Liu, Q. Wang, Y. Li, W.G. Sun, J.R. Liu, Y.M. Yang, W.L. Xu, X.R. Sun, B.Q. Chen, Inhibitory effects of gamma-tocotrienol on invasion and metastasis of human gastric adenocarcinoma SGC-7901 cells, J Nutr Biochem. 21 (2010) 206213
10. W. Sun, W. Xu, H. Liu, J. Liu, Q. Wang, J. Zhou, F. Dong, B. Chen, gammaTocotrienol induces mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in human gastric adenocarcinoma SGC-7901 cells, J Nutr Biochem. 20 (2009) 276-284. 11. W. Sun, Q. Wang, B. Chen, J. Liu, H. Liu, W. Xu, Gamma-tocotrienol-induced apoptosis in human gastric cancer SGC-7901 cells is associated with a suppression in mitogen-activated protein kinase signalling, Br J Nutr. 99 (2008) 1247-1254.