Exploring the anti-metastasis mechanisms induced by Gamma-Tocotrienol and its correlation with the invasion and metastatic capacities of gastric adenocarcinoma SGC-7901 cells.
TOCOTRIENOLS CAN SUPPORT
INHIBITION OF METASTASIS OF GASTRIC CANCER CELLS
INHIBITION OF INVASION OF CANCER CELLS
INHIBITION OF CELL MIGRATION OF CANCER CELLS
Introduction to Gastric Cancer and Delta-TocotrienolsStomach cancer or gastric cancer is the fourth most commonly occurring cancer in men and the seventh most commonly occurring cancer in women.
It has been observed that with time, stomach cancer develops resistance against chemotherapeutic drugs. Moreover, the prognosis of this cancer is very poor at the early stages and thus existing treatment modalities turn out to be ineffective with time. Hence, in this study, the inhibitory effects of Gamma-Tocotrienol on invasion and metastasis of human gastric adenocarcinoma SGC-7901 cells were examined.
How does Gamma-Tocotrienol fight Gastric Cancer?It was observed, that at doses of 15, 30,45, and 60 mu mol/L, when given for 48 hours, Gamma-Tocotrienols suppressed cell migration and invasion. Gamma-Tocotrienols was able to significantly reduce the Matrigel invasion capability by downregulating the mRNA expressions of MMP-9 and MMP-2. The Gamma-Tocotrienol induced anti-tumor metastasis activity and demonstrated its potential as an effective chemo-preventive agent against gastric cancer.
References for the study in detail:1. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19195866/ 2. Vitamin E and cancer: an update on the emerging role of γ and δ tocotrienols. Constantinou C, et al. Eur J Nutr. 2020. PMID: 31016386 Review.
3. Delta-tocotrienol inhibits non-small-cell lung cancer cell invasion via the inhibition of NF-κB, uPA activator, and MMP-9. Rajasinghe LD, et al. Onco Targets Ther. 2018. PMID: 30100736
4. γ-Tocotrienol Inhibits Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis Via the Mitochondrial Pathway in Human Cervical Cancer HeLa Cells. Xu W, et al. Molecules. 2017. PMID: 28777347
5. Establishment of a gastric cancer subline with high metastatic potential using a novel microfluidic system. Chen ZZ, et al. Sci Rep. 2016. PMID: 27917905
6. Pharmacokinetics and safety of vitamin E δ-tocotrienol after single and multiple doses in healthy subjects with measurement of vitamin E metabolites. Mahipal A, et al. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2016. PMID: 27278668
9. Evodiamine Mitigates Cellular Growth and Promotes Apoptosis by Targeting the c-Met Pathway in Prostate Cancer Cells.Hwang ST, et al. Molecules. 2020. PMID: 32183146
10. Identification of a novel 1,2 oxazine that can induce apoptosis by targeting NF-κB in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Some C, et al. Biotechnol Rep (Amst). 2020. PMID: 32140443